Friday, February 13, 2009

Being Thankful

I was just watching a show on TV about Diane Sawyer and the Lost America.  The really poor of Kentucky, The Mountain people.  Bobby Kennedy tried to help back in the 60's he tried to draw attention to the area and the people.
Not much has changed in all these years.
The drug addiction in the area is unbelievable, who is given the people who have nothing prescription drugs.  There is no work, so no one can afford cars, safe housing, or food.  The children interviewed want to escape the poverty.  They know the only way our is through education.  But, even education is impossible for many of them. Even with a scholarship one young boy, the first in his family to graduate High School, had to drop out because he couldn't afford to stay at the school or to be able to keep up with his classes.
It was also amazing to see the dental problems that plague the area. One of the main reasons the problem is so bad is everyone even unborn babies are drinking Mountain Dew. Most of the people interviewed had lost most of their teeth and have stomach problems, even children as young as 12 had missing adult teeth.
Coal mining is still a way of life.  One of the only good paying jobs in the area.
But, it's still very dangerous.  Most of the miners have medical problems from the job, but, it's hard to get any statistics on the medical problems.
It was amazing to hear the faith that the people interviewed had, the young children singing beautiful hymns and praising the Lord.
I found it so sad to think that people are living this bad in our country, one of the richest countries in the world.
Who will bail out these people.
It really brought me to reality.  I'm truly thankful for all I have.
I think I will post daily on something I am thankful for.
Today I am thankful for the wonder life I have.
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never heard about that region. It's so sad!! I used to write in a "gratitude journal" daily and it really makes you stop and think because each day you can find at least one thing to be thankful for!
    Sometimes you just need a reminder of all you really have in life! Great post, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost watched it, but I usually do not like the slant they put on most things. Sounds like I missed something I should have watched.
    Thanks for visiting me, I was happy to see you have signed on as a "follower".

    ReplyDelete